8.23.2014

The First Power hits Blu-ray!!

How on Earth was I not aware of this films impending Blu-ray release? 
I love this film, as silly and ridiculous as it is. Having not seen it since it's initial release, I revisited it some time back and let me tell you, I loved the shit out of it. For all that it's lacking in originality, it seriously makes up for in it's execution. I'm not aware of anything else writer/director Robert Resnikoff has done, but personally I feel he killed it with The First Power. It's a hard-edged detective thriller with some supernatural overtones, with solid performances by Phillips and the one and only Jeff Kober as an unstoppable serial killer. Oh, and one of the things that surprised me the most, it's got some badass and killer stunt work.

It looks like it's set to hit the streets on October 7th, in a single disc Blu-ray. To date, no special features are available, and for all we know, there might not even be any to speak of, which would be a shame since part of the reason I love buying new releases of older films is the Special Features. But that's just me.

What we do get is a widescreen transfer. That's it. Amazon has a listing price of $27.98, which is pretty steep if you ask me, especially considering there are no supplemental material to speak of. Unless this goes down at some point, I'll be waiting for the used market before I end up grabbing this one. I mean, I like this film, but not enough to shell out $30 for a bare-bones Blu-ray.

If you're interested in my original thoughts on this when I revisited way back in June of 2012, you can follow the link below.
http://robotgeekscultcinema.blogspot.com/2012/06/review-first-power.html

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll have to make this a priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember, did you ever see this one? It's a pretty rad film. And if I remember correctly, the bare bones full frame DVD is insanely expensive here in the U.S., just because it's out of print, like with Split Second and Fright Night 2. So as much as I hate to, I may actually end up getting this after all if the mood strikes me one day.

      Delete
  2. Luckily, someone's uploaded it to youtube. Will give it a look.

    ReplyDelete